maandag 13 juli 2015

Ideas for the classroom: Things British people say and what they really mean


Misschien komen er scheuren in het Britse masker van de 'stiff upper lip'. Toch zijn er in de Engelse taal tal van restanten waaruit blijkt dat de eilandbewoners liever confrontatie uit de weg gaan. Ik hou heel erg van deze verhullende, soms ietwat grappige woordspelingen. 
Kunnen jullie deze oefening oplossen? 
De eerste persoon die mij een e-mail stuurt met de juiste oplossing, ontvangt een Brits souveniertje...

The Brits' stiff upper lip isn't what it used to be anymore. Although there are plenty of remainders in the English language that tell us that the islanders like avoiding confrontating. I really love this mysterious, somewhat funny way of using language. Can you solve this puzzle? Be the first one to send me an e-mail with the correct answer and you might receive a British souvenir...


What British people say:
What they really mean:
I hear what you are saying.
It's good.
It's not bad.
Do it or be prepared to justify yourself.
With the greatest respect...
It's raining so hard you're going to need a snorkel.
I would suggest...
Well, that's everything ruined then.
You must come for dinner.
I don't agree with you.
I might join you later.
Bye.
It's a bit wet out there.
You look like you've been swimming in a volcano.
I suppose I should really start thinking about making a move.
I'm in a terrible situation with possibly fatal consequences.
Perfect.
You're an idiot.
You've caught the sun.
I am not leaving the house today.
We're in a bit of a pickle.
You've most definitely dropped something.
Sorry, I think you might have dropped something.
I'm being polite. Do not come to my house.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten